spacer

 

 


Borton School Council Minutes
(Approval Pending)

September 13, 2017
7:30 a.m.
Borton Project Based Learning Room

Members Present:
    Denice Contreras, principal
    Kathleen Edgar, certified
    Jessica Redondo, certified
    Leslee Valencia, certified
    Jenna Horist, certified
    Maryanne Bone, classified
    James Ojeda, parent
    Holly Thomas-Hilburn, parent

Absent:
    Gina Sotelo, parent
    Michelle Molnar, parent
    Esther Witt, certified
 

  1. Call to Order
      Meeting called to order at 7:40 a.m.
       
  2. Approval of Minutes:
      Denice moved to approve the minutes from Aug. 9, 2017. James seconded. Motion carried.
       
  3. Call to the Audience
      None at this time
       
  4. Information Items
    1. Introduce new School Council members: All site council members were introduced including our new members, Jenna Horist, Holly Thomas-Hilburn and Leslee Valencia.
      Not Present: Gina Sotelo and Michelle Molnar
       
    2. Principal’s Report – Denice reported that AZ Merit scores were slightly above the district average. Believe that students may not have scored higher due to the fact that the teachers were implementing new district curriculum. In order to achieve proficiency this year we require 15 more students to pass in ELA and 20 more students to pass in math. Due to the difficult format of the test, one focus for this year will be to support students in how to take the test. Denice reported that there will be a Title 1 and GSRR meeting for parents on Tuesday, September 19th at 8:45am in the library. Purpose is to inform parents how Title 1 funds are allocated and spent.
       
    3. Magnet Coordinator’s Report – Jessica reported that we have our first Magnet recruiting event Saturday, September 23rd from 10am to 2pm at the Tucson Children’s Museum. The theme is Love of Literacy. Ms. Candi and Ms. Tori will assist Jessica at the magnet event. Denice reported that we remain a fully integrated magnet school.
       
    4. PTA Report – No PTA representative present. Denice reported that Borton Movie Night will be Friday, September 22nd. Pizza will be available for purchase.
       
  5. Tax Credit Report
    1. Lilian Schwartz not present.
       
  6. Study Items
    1. Tax Credit – Kathleen reported that a Tax Credit Committee will be needed to assist Lilian. She has asked Michelle Molnar if she can be on that committee and is waiting for a definite response. Kathleen asked Site Council to let her know if they would be interested in being on that committee as well. Denice reported that tax money is currently low. It was suggested that it may be attributed to families not understanding how tax credit works.
       
    2. Meeting Dates – Set dates for future meetings (tentatively Oct 4th or 18th, Nov 8th, Dec 13th, Jan 10th, Feb 14th, March 14th, April 11th, May 9th, Aug 8th)
       
  7. Action Item
    1. Future Site Council meeting dates will be on the second Wednesday of the month — Oct. 4th, Nov. 8th, Dec. 13th, Jan. 10th, Feb. 14th, Mar. 14th, Apr. 11th, May 9th and Aug. 8th. The meeting for October was decided on the 4th due to PTA scheduled meetings and Fall Break. Maryanne moved to set the dates. Holly seconded.
       
  8. New Business
      Maryanne inquired about how Community School was doing. Denice reported that it is going smoothly with two classes being offered per day with the exception of Wednesdays. 21 Century will begin September 18th with 112 students currently enrolled. All classrooms will be utilized for all afterschool programs.
       
  9. Agenda for next tentative meeting on October 4, 2017
    1. Tax credit update
       
    2. 21st Century update
       
  10. Adjournment
      Meeting Adjourned at 7:53am
       

Dated this 14th day of September, 2017

Respectfully submitted by
Jessica Redondo
Magnet Coordinator

 



Borton School Council Minutes

August 9, 2017
7:30 a.m.
Borton Project Based Learning Room

Members Present:
     Denice Contreras, principal
     Molly Reed, certified
     Kathleen Edgar, certified
     Maryanne Bone, classified
     Jessica Redondo, certified
     Esther Witt, certified
     Lilian Schwartz, parent
 

Absent:
     Jennifer Peters, parent
     Ali Parent, parent
 

Also present:
     Leslee Valencia, certified
     Michelle Molnar
 

  1. Call to Order
      Meeting called to order at 7:38 a.m.
       
  2. Approval of Minutes from last meeting:
      Maryanne moved to approve the minutes. Kathleen seconded. Motion carried.
       
  3. Call to the Audience
      Leslee asked what population is needed for Site Council for the 2017-2018 school year. It was determined that there is a need for parents and staff members. Molly will follow up with Irma Woodward to find out the number of open spots on the council in order to follow bylaws. Kathleen is up for re-election.
       
  4. Information Items
    1. Principal’s Report – Denice reported that AZ Merit scores in ELA were 42.5% proficient and above the district average. The goal for this year is 50% proficient, which means 15 more students need to become proficient in relation to last year. AZ Merit scores in math were 37.8% proficient. In order to meet the 50% goal of proficiency, 20 more students than last year need to score proficient.
       
    2. Magnet Coordinator’s Report – No report at this time.
       
    3. PTA Report – No members present. First PTA meeting will be Tuesday, August 22, 2017.
       
    4. Community School Update – Community School began Monday, August 7th, 2017. Molly reported that classes are mostly full. We do not have bus transportation at this time. Two students require bus transportation. It was discussed that there needs to be more communication to parents and teachers about community school student schedules, class locations, snack requirements, and meeting/parent pick up designated areas.
       
  5. Study Item
    1. Elections – Site Council interest forms will be sent out with students on Take-Home Tuesday, August 15th. Forms will also be available that evening at Open House with a return date of August 21st. Ballots will be sent out on Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017. New Site Council will be introduced Wednesday, September 13th, 2017.
       
  6. Action Item
    1. Tax credit expenditures – Tax credit expenditures: Maryanne motioned to approve the following tax credit expenditures from undesignated funds. It was seconded by Kathleen, and the motion passed unanimously.
      1. Structured Play at recess for $5400.
      2. Taiko Drumming for 4th and 5th grade for $2500.
      3. Outdoor Learning with Mike Amundson for 2 days per week for $15,000
      4. Supplement for afterschool as needed.
       
  7. Agenda for next tentative meeting on September 13, 2017
      Tax Credit Committee development
       
  8. Adjournment
      Meeting adjourned at 8:15 a.m.
       

Dated this 9th day of August, 2017

Respectfully submitted by
Jessica Redondo
Magnet Coordinator

 



2016-2017


spacer